Headline Animator

Monday, July 09, 2007

Fire at 1460 Varnell Avenue

The Roanoke Fire-EMS Department responded to a report of a structure fire on July 8, 2007 at 1460 Varnell Ave.

The call was received through the 9-1-1 Center at approximately 5:33 p.m. The response of two Engines, one Ladder truck, one Medic Unit, the EMS Captain and a Battalion Chief for a total of 13 personnel responded to the scene. The fire was out when crews arrived.

When crews arrived they found smoke on the second floor of the home. Upon further investigation, crews found an ashtray sitting on the edge of a bathroom vanity that had caused a fire in a trash can located beside the vanity. The trash can burned and caught the side of the vanity on fire. This melted the water line to the sink which extinguished the fire.

There were 2 people in the home when the fire started. They escaped without any injuries. There were no injuries to Fire-EMS personnel.

The fire started in the trash can located in the bathroom and was contained to the bathroom. The upstairs of the house sustained smoke and water damage and the ceiling and floor of the kitchen downstairs received water damage. The fire was caused by smoking materials.Damage estimates are approximately $11,000.


Anonymous said...

hey, whats up with the union web page. does any one know ? Are we changing it? SKM.

FireFleitz said...


When I updated the website we changed hosting companies, however we could not switch the domain to the new server. The previous host, and current host of the domain name only, has piss poor customer service and did not let us know we needed to renew the domain. I have called and emailed them and I have not heard back from them yet. Unfortunately, I cannot transfer the domain name to the new host company. I am still working on this.