VAFireNews.com Headline Animator

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Roanoke Tornado of 1974 - WDBJ7 Archives

I learned something tonight. A tornado ripped through Roanoke back in 1974. However this was only 1 of an outbreak of tornados that year. There were 148 tornados, including Five F5, in the period of 2 days that year. (Read More)

Check out the video as well. It has a couple of shots of Roanoke Fire Department Apparatus. The video also charts the tornados path and where it touched down.(Video here)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rhett, I remember that, I was a kid then. I had relitives that lived off of Hershberger Rd. They lost part of thier roof. I remember riding down Hershberger Rd looking at the damage.
By the way I watched the vidio from WDBJ, the apts they were calling Ferncliff were actually Grandview Apts. I'm not sure that Ferncliff Apts were even built in 1974 I don't remember.
KF

FireFleitz said...

I thought maybe that was off. I bet that was one heck of a storm.