VAFireNews.com Headline Animator

Saturday, January 13, 2007

2006 RFFA Annual Awards Banquet

The Roanoke Fire-EMS/Roanoke Fire Fighters Association Color Guard began the event with the posting of the colors.

The Color Guard members are L-R Noel Gardner,
John Burrows, Daryl Songer, and R.T. Flora

Last night was the 2006 Annual Awards Banquet held by the Roanoke Fire Fighters Association Local 1132. The event was held at the Holiday Inn, formerly the Clarion, and was an enjoyable evening.

The highlights of the Banquet are the Retirement Axes handed out to the Firefighters who retired during the past year, and the awards giving to firefighters for exceptional acts including Firefighter of the Year.

Of the retirements over the past year, the firefighters who were present to receive their retirement axe were; Billy Obenchain, Oscar Smith, John Sweeney, and Michael Overacker.
Michael Overacker photographed the evening, so this is the picture
of him receiving his retirement axe.


This year the coveted "Firefighter of the Year" award actually went to 5 firefighters for a double rescue that occurred at a house fire. Captain Scott Mutter, 1st Lt. Scott Alford, Lieutenant Jamie Brads, Firefighter George Harris, and Firefighter Eric Mulford performed two rescues on the scene of a house fire. Congratulations to all you guys.
Receiving the award for Firefighter of the Year are: L-R Scott Alford, Eric Mulford, Jamie Brads, and Scott Mutter. George Harris was unable to attend.

Special Thanks to Vice President Tim Parry for all of the planning that goes into providing the banquet. The many hours of preparation paid off, and it seemed as though everyone enjoyed themselves.

My lovely Bride, Becky, and myself at the Banquet

On another note: There has been a lot of discussion about the Banquet and where it is held, whether we should have a DJ or a Band, the cost of the banquet, and when it is held. In the coming months the RFFA will be revisiting the planning of the event to make sure that we are planning the best possible banquet for all of our members to enjoy. Feel free to leave comments on what you would like to see change or stay the same.


I was unable to take many pictures during the event. Michael Overacker took many photographs of the event and will have them available soon.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rhet I really enjoyed the old pictures slide show that was up at the banquet. I have heard several people comment about it also. Good job.

Someone should go around to the Stations again and take pictures of the people that are here now. Trust me, in twenty years from now at a RFFA banquet people would enjoy looking back.

Kenny

Anonymous said...

I happened to be browsing the web, and saw that Eric Mulford had won the Firefighter of the year award. I don't know if you'll ever see this Eric, but I want you to know I am so happy that you are living your dream. I hope life is treating you well. You should e-mail me sometime so we can catch up. A lot has happened since I saw you last.

Angela Mayer (maiden name,Leonard)
hokielove@live.com

Anonymous said...

I happened to be browsing the web, and saw that Eric Mulford had won the Firefighter of the year award. I don't know if you'll ever see this Eric, but I want you to know I am so happy that you are living your dream. I hope life is treating you well. You should e-mail me sometime so we can catch up. A lot has happened since I saw you last.

Angela Mayer (maiden name,Leonard)
hokielove@live.com