VAFireNews.com Headline Animator

Thursday, February 16, 2006

Engine 13 is Replaced, Ending an Era

Engine 13, the last open cab engine being used as first run apparatus in Roanoke City is being replaced today. Engine 13 is being replaced with the old Engine 3, a 1991 Grumman. The new Engine 3, a 2005 model Pierce Quantum, was just recently placed into service.This may not seem like a big deal, but in reality it is the end of an era. Engine 13 is a 1990 model KME engine, and is not fully enclosed like the rest of our fleet. Below is a pictorial account of Engine 3 and Engine 13 in the past 25 years. This is to my best recollection of the research I have been through. If indeed I missed a truck, please let me know.

Engine 13 in the 80's
Engine 3 in the 80's: Pictured L-R Captain Howard "Pizza head" Guilliams, FF Jimmy Jennings, and FF Charles Harrington
Engine 13 1990-2006
Engine 3 1991-2006/ Engine 13 2006
Engine 3, 2006
I would have gone back to the beginning, but currently I have too many holes in my research to provide accurate information. Look for it in the future.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What is 13 engine being replaced with? Another Quantum or an engine with an elevated water way?

FireFleitz said...

Sorry, I left out a few of the details. I have added the details above: I will summarize though. Engine 13 is getting the old Engine 3 which is a 1991 Grumman. The new Engine 3, a 2005 model Pierce Quantum, was just placed into service.

RoanokeFound said...

maybe its just me, but the cab on the 1990's model 13 doesn't look open.

Then again, my eyes are half shut and Im trying out cocomment again.

FireFleitz said...

The back end is open, as opposed to the 1991 model trucks which have back doors and are completely enclosed. All E13 has to protect you is a suicide bar, which can rotate up and in.