VAFireNews.com Headline Animator

Friday, October 14, 2005

Firefighters to help with Habitat for Humanity

Ok first of all I have been asked who is getting this thing together Roanoke Fire-EMS or Roanoke Fire Fighters Association. The answer is you are. You the Firefighter. I am merely a contact between us and Habitat for Humanity. We are going as Firefighters. If you want to wear a Department T-Shirt I am sure that would be fine (although I will check) and if you want to wear an RFFA or IAFF T-Shirt that would be fine. The point is that you all come out to help.
This is the deal. I spoke with Karen Mason of Habitat for Humanity last night. I told her that the Firefighters were interested with helping with the build. She stated that she has had almost too many calls of people wanting to swing a hammer. So I bargained with her, knowing that you all would surely like to swing a hammer. So here is the deal. We will be providing food for an entire day (Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner) for all of the Volunteers. Any day besides Nov. 1st is available. We will in turn be given at least 1 shift (three hours, max 25 people) to build. They also need help with security overnight.
So I am looking for Firefighters to assist with feeding the volunteers on Wednesday November 2nd, date subject to change. I will work on getting food donations and funding, if you can help let me know.
I am also looking for 25 to 50 Firefighters to help with the build. No experience necessary. We will be filling 1 or 2 shifts. If we cannot fill the entire 25 member team, then they will be able to fill in.
I am also looking for 2+ member teams to do security overnight at the site.
I encourage the Captains to talk to their crews and get them out as a team. The event will be held at the Roanoke Civic Center.
So let me know if you want to help. I will be out of town from today until Sunday. Send me an email FireFleitz@adelphia.net or give me a call or page. Thanks in advance for the assistance.

No comments: